Monday, September 7, 2015

Mail Order Fashion

My sister and I came up with a fun idea of doing a two part post. The first, compiled by yours truly, is on catalogues and fashion (including it's exciting history). She will be writing the second in a week or two based on the history of patterns! I chose catalogues because every time I see any old mail-order fashion item (whether it's from the 70's or the 20's) I have a secret fantasy that I could still fill out the order form, send it in, and magically receive the item. Straight out of time! I completely loved researching this one!

An early engraving of a Venetian printing press.
Before official catalogues, there were the more simple mail-orders. When I began my research of such, I assumed this practice began in the early Victorian period (when everything else started). The truth actually made my jaw drop. The first ever catalog was published in Venice in 1498! Can you believe it? These pamphlet-like listings were handed out during town fairs and first sold books or gardening supplies.

1700's shopping

A wonderful engraving by Hogarth of a London fair.
This seemed to continue steadily throughout the centuries, slowly picking up steam. The first modern mail order was formed in 1861 in Wales. With the establishment of the postal service in the 1840's as well as the expansion of the railways, the possibilities of true mail order commerce began to snowball. In the United States, the first real catalogue appeared in 1845 from Tiffany's. The first-ever Sears catalogue appeared in 1888 selling only watches. However, it grew rapidly, and by 1895 they were producing an 532-page catalogue that sold everything from car parts, to clothing, to groceries to kit houses. 



Ordering a house-kit is so mind boggling to me. Plus, I've seen this style of house many times. Were they all built from kits?

Hats from roughly 1905-1910. Aren't they lovely? And so reasonably priced!

From roughly the same period. A fur wrap for less than $2!

1910 Sears catalogue.

These prices are outrageous! But at least it's free shipping. (1916)
With the passing of each World War, catalogues increased in popularity. After the second, household incomes increased and the demand for mail-order goods increased along with it. An interesting development in this history is the addition of JC Penney in 1962. They were the first store to enter the mail order race with an already large retail store base.


I don't know how a girl is expected to choose just one of these! They are all amazing!!!
The 20's made huge leaps in presentation.  I would give my left arm for that plaid shift!
I love the stylized 20's drawings!

1934. I think the dress for $.59 is my favorite!

These gowns and drawings leave me speechless. I wish we could see more dresses like these at the Oscars.

Mid 30's. I chose this for the creepy cartoon man she's walking with. Plus, who doesn't love a sailor suit? 

This 1940's coat and hat combo! I need!

I just love 40's shoes! I'll take one of each!

Although retail stores grew, with shopping malls and strip malls, catalogues remained extremely popular throughout the 1980's and into the 1990's. I still remember the excitement from our entire household when we received the new Banana Republic or J Crew catalogues. I loved pouring over each page, perhaps marking the things I wanted most. The fashion possibilities were endless!

1950's dreamy dresses. I'll take the floral green one.

The Indian Touch! I am drooling over this 1955 dress/pant combo! I need to make myself one of these!

The 60's really did pastels right!

I love the posing! And the plaid!

1965 Spiegel cover. The Spiegel I remember was much different. I love that this entire ensemble (including the hair) is a rusty brown, then that pop of teal at the collar. Genius!

Look at these crazy late 60's shoes!
Something for everyone! 1972

Not my favorite style to come out of the 70's.

This, however, is pretty amazing. As is the hair!

1975. I couldn't help myself.

Now this is pretty sweet! Including the boots.

And now, catalogues seem to be more of a nuisance than an excitement. The internet has all but killed this once thriving corner of industry. Of course, mail-order is still alive and well. I would be nothing without my Amazon Prime! But it is now much more impersonal. The tangible feeling of holding a catalogue and then ordering something (which could often take weeks to process) is now gone. Do I love my two-day shipping? Yes! But I can't help but feel that something just beyond my reach has been lost forever. 

Oh 80's! I remember that I got a pair of corduroy culottes a lot like these for my 6th or 7th birthday.

A rainbow of colors and options.

The family that Star Wars' together, stays together.

Ah yes! The over sized sweatshirt and stirrup pants. I can't believe this look hasn't come back around!

The great thing about the older Banana Republic catalogue's is that their styles are pretty timeless. Seriously! Look at that dress and belt! Gorgeous!

This was my personal favorite when I was about 13 or 14.

3 comments:

  1. Something just beyond my reach . . . lovely ending! Powerful, well-written first paragraph, also. And this posting is very worthwhile. Thanks for thinking of it, and doing it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian touch!! I need that dress/pant combo, too!!!! This is fabulous!!! I'd forgotten about Spiegel catalogue!! Wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very interesting! I have a mini reprint of a 1900 Sear's Catalog. It's my second copy, actually. The first I bought with the intention to cut it up for decoupage and I did! When I found out the book was out of print I felt so stupid, but luckily, copies aren't too hard to find and I got another one. I loved pouring over that one. It's amazing all the things you could send for in the mail order!

    ReplyDelete